DISCHARGE DAY MANAGEMENT CODES
Discharge codes are time based. The billing provider must document his/her total time along with discharge management services personally performed.
- Only the time spent by the billing provider on the day of discharge is billable time
- Includes as appropriate:
- Final examination
- Discussion of the hospital stay with the patient & caregivers
- Coordination of Care
- Instructions for continuing care to all relevant caregivers
- Preparation of the discharge records – including note completion
- Referral forms
- Attending physician’s time discussing instructions to residents to carry out the above
- Example: I spent 35 minutes today in discharge planning time including discharge exam, parent education, and coordination of care.
- There are two levels of services based on provider time: Up to 30 minutes, and 31 minutes are above. For questions please contact Brenda McManemy.